Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sleek Pout Paints // Review & Swatches

Lipsticks used to be the most popular form of lip colour , but now there are many other types available such as stains and paints, the latter in the likes of OCC {Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics}, Sleek & Australis & probably many more, with OCC being the most well known. I have only tried the Sleek Pout Paints as of late, and wish I had tried some earlier!
Lip paints are becoming quite popular as it has an advantage of easily mixing any colour combinations to create any colour that you desire. Obviously most people wouldn't wear colours such as white or blue alone, but they are good for changing the tone & brightness so you can basically have whatever you want!
L-R: Pinkini, Peachy Keen, Cloud 9, Peek-a-bloo
Packing: "Sleek" clear tubes with black lids and a tiny opening for product control.
Texture: Very oily, as you can see with the white & blue that if they have not been shaken thoroughly first the oil sits on top. They glide on the lips when applied and then sort of set so they don't slip around, depending on how much is applied. Not sticky unlike lip gloss.
Finish: Glossy, high shine.
Pigmentation: Very opaque although I've found the lighter shades need to be slowly built up, and can become patchy if too much is applied without blending.
Application: Apply with a lip brush for precision or fingers and to make sure to pat in so it wont slide off. As mentioned, always shake very well first. Only a tiny drop is needed, and when mixing I would start with the base colour & add the mixture in so it is easier to control.
Longevity: Lasts through light eating & drinking. If you don't touch it, it could last all day. I would say it probably lasts about 4 hours at it's best.
Colour range: 11 different shades including mixture shades. Not actually that many shades on their own but a lot of different combos can be made.
Price: $6.49 on the Sleek online website, with affordable shipping depending on how much you buy.

Pros of Sleek Pout Paints
Able to mix colours to create different effects
Non sticky, high glossy look
Colours ranging from neutral to bright to dark.

Cons
Need to use a lip brush to apply, can use fingers but is messy
Need to be shaken well each time otherwise oil will ruin mixing

Swatches


 Please note I have seen plenty of swatches where Cloud 9 & Peachykeen looksmuch more opaque. I couldn't get them to work with me on this day!

Other mixes
As I had applied Pinkini while Peek-A-Bloo was already on my lips instead of on the back of my hand I wasted more product than what I would have needed and all of that extra product is a disaster waiting to happen. I left this on my lips for a few hours at home and when I looked in the mirror I had some on my teeth & smudges on my face haha.
The same two colours mixed on my hand.
A very light ombre/ gradient look with Pinkini all over & Peachy Keen in the middle.
A more obvious ombre look with Pinkini, Peachy Keen, Cloud 9. Still unable to mix the oil back into the product with Cloud 9 -.-

And now, because Pinkini is the only colour that I have similar lip products in, I've made a few swatches.


L-R: Sleek Pinkini, Milani Rosehip, Nyx Addis Ababa, BYS Flirty Fuchsia
All are very similar but they do look different on the lips... I'm finding it hard to see a difference here! Although each colour has a different formula. What do you think?

Overall I'd recommend the Sleek Pout Paints to get you started with this type of product... I'd love to branch out with the OCC Lip Tars as they have a much wider colour range and try mixing them together! What do you think?

Thank you for reading, I hope this post is helpful!
xx

20 comments:

  1. SLEEK POUT PAINTS! The pure thought of mixing those paints is just sending shivers up my spine - so jealous that you have them!! I want Peek A Bloo now but I hate how Sleek isn't so readily available outside of the UK! I'll probably splurge on the OCC liptars for the black, gold, white and blue ones :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes you would be able to get amazing use out of all of the colour combos! xx

      Delete
  2. Wow is the first time than I see a product like this interesting.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I've always wanted to try the OCC lip tars but they are kinda expensive and I knew I wasn't going to use them all the time so that would be money wasted. The price of these are more reasonable. I just wished they didn't have a glossy finish though. I still want to give them a try because I like the versatility of mixing colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep the price is the best part.... I can understand it might be a bit too glossy for some but I personally love the finish. xx

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to try the Sleek Pout Paints for a while now and now after seeing this I want to try them even more! I love the look of Pinkini! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. such great colors!

    p.s. I'm having a Bonlook sunglasses giveaway if you'd like to check it out!
    devorelebeaumonstre.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are perfect for makeup looks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a couple of OCC Lip Tars and I never use them sadly :( a lipstick or lipgloss is just so much quicker in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too true, these aren't good for those with limited time! xx

      Delete
  8. Ah! I have my eyes on these pout paints for a very long time. Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like seeing that you got one in blue. Seeing unconventional colors wlays interests me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God knows how much I will get use out of it, but it will be fun to experiment! xx

      Delete
  10. I myself have one blue toned red shade from OCC and then I have two pout paints, one white and one peachy pink! I love them since my lips get dry so easily. I think as someone who will be experimenting you should definitely try some OCC lip tars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh cool, do you ever mix the two brands together? I definitely will still pick up some OCC if I see it! xx

      Delete
  11. I have these but mine weren't ever that oily... I wonder what happened to get so separated? Its cool to do ombre lips with these! for some odd reason I like the purple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I haven't been shaking it up enough but it seems to be never ending oil with the white =/ Maybe I got one out of a bad batch. I don't think I could ever wear purple lips out hehe. xx

      Delete
  12. nice post :)

    I'm having a giveaway and you can win a Michael Kors bag, so you can check it out here:
    http://www.magnifiquefashionblog.com/2013/04/giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Would you like to follow each other, I'm following you on GFC, I hope you follow me back! You can like my FB page as well :)

    http://embui-fashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ombré lip with Pinkini & Peachy Keen looks lovely!
    Megan xx

    maybeitsmeganleigh.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read & comment! If you are a new follower please leave me your link, so I can reply & follow if I like your blog. I love finding new blogs but please don't ask to follow 4 follow. <3